RECIPE (REliable power and time-ConstraInts-aware Predictive management of heterogeneous Exascale systems) provides a hierarchical runtime resource management infrastructure to optimise energy efficiency and minimise the occurrence of thermal hotspots, while enforcing the time constraints imposed by the applications, and ensuring reliability for both time-critical and throughput-oriented computation.
The main goals are:
- To increase the energy efficiency (performance/watt) of 25% with an improvement of 15% of Mean Time To Failure due to proactive thermal management; energy-delay product improved up to 25%;
- To reduce the occurrence of fault executions by 20% with recovery times compatible to real-time performance and full exploitation of available resources under non-saturated conditions.
RECIPE, together with M2DC and MANGO, is one of the main current European projects on HPC/Exascale computing. Some of the most important players in Europe are part of RECIPE’s consortium:
- POLIMI provides expertise on resource management and programming models as well as scientific coordination;
- EPFL, the leading provider of thermal models for HPC;
- UPV, one of the key innovators in optimised interconnection networks;
- CeRICT, providing expertise on accelerators;
- BSC, one of the leading HPC providers in Europe with MareNostrum, classed 13th in the Top 500 in June 2017;
- PSNC, another Top 500 HPC center in Poland;
- CHUV, a Swiss research hospital;
- IBTS, and Italian SME active in product design and development.
CHUV and IBTs provide effective exploitation avenues through industry-based use cases.
RECIPE is a new FETHPC-02-2017 – Transition to Exascale Computing – project lead by Politecnico di Milano – Dipartimento di Elettronica, Informazione e Bioingegneria. The Project Coordinator is prof. William Fornaciari, the Project Technical Manager is prof. Giovanni Agosta and the duration is 36 months: May 2018 – April 2021.
Start Date: May 1, 2018
End Date: April 30, 2021
Grant Number: 801137
EU Contribution: 3.285.300 €
Topic: FETHPC-02-2017 – Transition to Exascale Computing
Funding Scheme: RIA – Research and Innovation action